Sunday, November 13, 2011

KNOCK, KNOCK.... who's there???


You don’t have to literally raise your hand here… but if you find yourself smiling while you read this, then you’re guilty as charged (as am I)!!!

Here’s the scenario: 

You’re standing by whatever window overlooks your driveway.
To your sheer terror, you see someone driving up your driveway… unannounced.
Your house is a disaster.
YOU are a disaster.


As they approach your front door, your reaction is one of the following: 

            a).  You scream to someone in the house:  “QUICK… run out there!! Don’t let them in!!  Stall!!! Stall!!!
            b).  You quick throw all the dirty dishes into the oven and the laundry room becomes a catch-all for everything else.
            c).  You let them in and spend the majority of the visit apologizing and fretting about what they must think.
  
Sound familiar??  Most likely we’ve all been there.  I know I have been utterly AMAZED at how fast I can move when I need to under those circumstances.  What exactly am I trying to prove anyway?? What image am I trying to maintain??  I feel “exposed” for the imperfect person I really am. 

Revelations 3:20 says “Here I am!! I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with Me.”  If I’m honest with myself (and you), I’d have to admit to pulling some of the same stunts listed above with Christ.  I may make excuses for my actions, or try to hide the raw truth of my brokenness.  There are times when I may even feel like ignoring the knock altogether.  But He’s there… standing at the front door of my soul…. knocking.  Not just once in awhile.  But constantly.  Persistently.  He REALLY wants to spend time with ME!!  He wants to come in.  And the beauty of it is, when I open the door and let Him in… it’s ME he’s focused on.  Not my imperfections.  Not my mess.  Oh, He knows the disaster is there all right… He knew it before I even opened the door.  In the midst of the mess though, His face is focused on ME.  He wants my heart…  not perfection.   

Don’t wait until you feel that everything in your life is neat and tidy.  Don’t wait until you think you are worthy of a visit from someone such as Him. 

INVITE HIM IN. 
INVITE HIM to come into the daily situations of your life.  Constantly.  Persistently.
INVITE HIM INTO… the whole ugly mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment