Tuesday, November 22, 2011

TABLE TALK

Ambiance.  Love it.
Tradition.  Love it.
And the holiday that combines both is coming up fast!!

We often host Thanksgiving dinner at our house... which I enjoy.  I've always loved entertaining and really enjoy having family and friends gather around the table.  Holidays, to me, deserve some extra effort... and the ambiance of a pretty table is a great place to show that effort.  I've heard quite often "I could never do that!!"... but I beg to differ.  Okay, I will have to admit there may be some people who's brains absolutely cannot do anything that isn't perfectly symmetrical.  But seriously, it isn't as hard as it looks.  So, I'd like to help you give it a try!!! I set up my Thanksgiving Day table early this year and then dismantled the table scape so I could show you some layers.

(this bird typically is an accessory in my house)
First of all, supplies.  Wander your cupboards, storage areas and the accessories sitting around your house... and grab any items that have a fall feel or tone to them.  I do probably have a more extensive "stash" than most, but hopefully you can find a few items.  A box of those clear votives that you can pick up at Hobby Lobby for less than $5 is a great item to keep on hand.

Personally, I love to add natural elements to the Thanksgiving table.  Other holidays may lend themselves to glitz and sparkle... but to me, Thanksgiving is about the feelings that fall evokes.  Some branches from outside add a nice natural touch... and if you don't have any acorns in your yard, you can pick up some of the mixed nuts that are in the produce section right now.  As you'll see in the pictures, I even use some deer antlers on my table each year.

When you're collecting your stash of items to work with, think varying heights, textures, and sizes.  Start with a defined area... and beware of how much you block the view across the table.  Remember to save room for food... OR if you want to keep your table pretty, you can serve buffet style or have another table off to the side to put the serving pieces on after they've made the rounds.  The centerpiece below is pretty hefty, but I actually have to expand the table to accommodate 10 more people yet!!

Anyway, let's get to work.  Grab a glass of wine, put on some inspiring music, take a deep breath... and let your creative juices flow!!  Most of all... have fun.

Start with some larger items of varying heights as your focal
(These mini pumpkins are set on a cake pedestal)

Tuck in some branches or decorative leaves



Add some smaller decorations like birds, pumpkins, antlers, ect.
Tuck several smaller candles in here and there...
To add a nice final touch, sprinkle some random rocks or nuts around outside...
See??  You did it!!  Just that easy...

Time to get cookin' now... chop, chop!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment