Monday, November 7, 2011

HOLA

When I was a little girl, my family attended a pretty traditional Reformed Church.  While I'm very thankful for that upbringing, one particular part of the service really bothered me.  The minister would stand up and say in his very booming voice "Whom shall I send??? Who will go for me??" and we all were to respond "Here am I Lord, send me".  Well, I have a secret to share (ssshhh... don't tell my parents).  I used to mouth the words... or skip them altogether.  I was terrified that if I actually SAID the words, God would take me up on that offer and send me to some foreign land!!  Considering that at this very moment, I'm sitting in Chichicastenango, Guatemala, I'd say that plan didn't work out so well for me!!  Ha!! I guess God was onto my scheme.  He probably had a good chuckle over that little girl so many years ago.

Seriously now, my heart did change after a number of years.  Until this point though, my heart for international mission was expressed through my pocketbook only... and it's time to put my mouth where my money is.  It's time to check this out up close and personal.  I've already had quite an awakening... and know there's more to come.

There's a song I especially love.  Here's the link if you have a couple minutes to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGr8as7pPBE

God made it emphatically clear in His Word that we are to care for the widows, the orphans and those in need.  We are to be His hands and feet.  Opportunities are all around us.  You certainly don't need to cross an ocean to find them.  They exist in our own backyards... in our communities... in our own country.  They're there... we just need to be open to seeing them.

Whether it's cooking meals for a family in need... slipping a family in need a gas card... spending some extra time with a widow... donating clothes... writing a check to a charity... or heading to a far away land.... we have the OPPORTUNITY to be the hands and feet of Jesus.  To show His love.  That's what this life is all about, isn't it?? Giving.  Giving of ourselves, our time, our financial blessings.  And in giving, we receive blessing.

If you'd like to, please join me in making this prayer part of your daily life:

"Give me eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart willing to respond to the need You put before me."

Just be ready... because HE WILL.

(p.s. please pray for health and safety as we continue our journey)

No comments:

Post a Comment