Wednesday, November 9, 2011

CAN touch this...

Those of you who know me know that I am a country girl more than a city girl.  Enjoying time in the country, you come across vultures now and then.  They have to be my least favorite animal (besides snakes mentioned in the  earlier "Lift Up Your Head" post that is!!!).  They disgust me as I watch them eat the remains of what is left of a carcass... after whatever animal first made it it's prey.  They pick at the leftovers.  

That's the vision that came to me today as I stood high on top of a cemetery hill in Guatemala City, overlooking the city dump, watching upwards of 11,000 people below me scavenge through trash as the dump trucks unloaded their cargo... bulldozers pushing it towards the edges.   Tears flowed as I watched thousands of human beings literally competing with thousands of vultures.... for the leftovers.... for survival.  

These people are the lowest of the low on the social ladder.  They are the "untouchables"... to everyone, except Christ.  Our Christ would reach out His hand and touch the leper.  Our Christ would touch the unclean.  Our Christ embraced the unwanted.

With vultures swarming and swooping around me... I watched these people and realized that they are God's children down there.  FULLY as much as I am.   I have to wonder if His heart mourns and if He weeps as I did... when He sees what has become of His world.

Red and yellow, black and white... we are ALL precious.. in HIS SIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment