Wednesday, December 7, 2011

KEEP LAYERING


When I was writing Table Talk and Dismantle the Mantle, I started thinking about my walk with God.  I’ve been listening to an audio book on prayer and the combination of that and the writing may be what spurred the thought.  Whatever is was… it’s there.   And I’m choosing these days not to dismiss those thoughts.

When we decorated the mantle earlier this week and the Thanksgiving Day table a couple weeks ago, we started with some solid basic pieces.  From there we began layering.  Adding items to make it fuller.    Enhancing what was there to make it more beautiful.  The end product was far from where we had started.   Yet where we had started… with those foundational ingredients… could have been beautiful in and of themselves if we hadn’t known how to go further with it.   But once we were taught how to do it differently… once we acquired the skills to make it more beautiful… will we settle for less??

My walk with God has been similar.   When I was a young Christian and admittedly for some time afterwards… I had the basics.  I believed Jesus died for my sins.  Accepted what was in the Apostles Creed.  I knew the basic stories in the Bible.  I went to church regularly and attended some bible studies.  I dare bet that God was ecstatic when I accepted Christ.  I’m sure He was smiling as I took those baby steps in my Christian life.   I was saved no matter if I took things further or not.   BUT I DID. 

HHHHHmmmmm…. now what.

Now???  I’m layering.  Reading books that are helping me develop a more personal relationship with my Jesus.  Spending hours with like-minded Christian friends discussing our journey (as my friend said just a couple Saturday’s ago, “who knew you could talk about God for 3 hours!!”).  Praying out loud and from my heart.  Even learning to recognize and audibly renounce the evil one.   Claiming the authority that I HAVE… yes, little ole’ me… in Christ. 

I don’t think I really saw it that way until I was taking apart the table and the mantle.  Stripping back the beautiful layers and seeing the foundational basics.  God spoke to my heart during that process.  He showed me that those basics are things I will cling to for the rest of my life.  But the more layers I add to my walk with God… the fuller my life becomes… and the more His beauty is revealed.  He also told me this:  now that I KNOW… He also EXPECTS.   He expects the beautiful table.  

He has SO MUCH MORE to offer me.  SO MUCH, my friends, to offer YOU!!!  I get so excited when I realize the bounty of what He has for us to learn and use to enhance our life.    HE is the master designer.  Of this world.  Of my life.  Of yours. 

So PLEASE… ask yourself where you are on YOUR walk. 

Are you settling for knowing the basics?? Or are you, like that table... evolving.  

I’m going to leave you with the same advice as I did in Table Talk and Dismantle the Mantle: 

KEEP LAYERING!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment