Sunday, October 9, 2011

Let me... entertain you. Let me... make you smile.

It is said that if you are wondering what you were put on this earth to do, look back to your childhood and see what it was you were naturally inclined towards doing.  While thinking about this awhile back, I said “the only thing I really remember loving to do is packing a sack lunch, picking out a blanket, and wandering the woods in the back of my house until I found the PERFECT setting….”.  I stopped mid-sentence at that point.  It hit me then… I’m still doing it to this day!!  Not necessarily a sack lunch anymore, but coming up with setting ideas or worrying about “ambiance”??? Oh yeah.  I’m all there.  LOVE IT. 

One of the categories for Beauty in Brown Eggs will be about just that very thing:  Entertaining.   In it, I hope to share some of the simple… or elaborate… ideas that pop into my head.   Sure, these ideas take work.  But it’s “playtime” for me.  We all have things we love to do, and seeing my friends or family gathered together enjoying a special evening… being able to serve them… brings me joy. 

This past weekend allowed me to put into action one of the “settings” I’ve had in my head for oh… probably 2 years now.  It took awhile to implement because it was so weather dependent.  We needed a dry spell so it wouldn’t be wet… a freeze so the skeeters wouldn’t carry everyone away… a segment of Indian Summer warmth… and a dad who would tell his daughter “go for it” instead of thinking she’d lost her mind.  Well this week was prime.  SO, I headed out to our family farm… clippers in hand… and I started cutting down corn.  Yep.  You heard me right.  Corn.  That was my vision:  a secret room in the middle of a corn field…. with an elegant table… set with china and crystal… white linens and burlap… candlelight and torches… and a 5 course dinner.   

The only thing my guests were told… was to leave their “good shoes” in the closet and put on some old boots… because we would be on dirt.  The only thing they saw when they drove out back, were two torches that beckoned them to look down that specific row… where they could see in the distance, a hint of something out of place.  Something special.  

Anyway, pictures don’t quite do it justice.  You miss how peaceful it was out there… hearing nothing but chatter and laughter of friends sharing food and wine.   You don’t see the occasional bird that swooped down on us.   Or how big the sky looked above us.  The most intimate part of all was when the sun set and the entire area was lit with torches and candles…. and oh yeah, a little Kenny G background music from my friend’s phone. 

I couldn’t help but feel the grand majesty of our God in such a simple setting:  a cornfield.  Sharing prayer with my friends in the quiet of this setting moved me.  His lavish, wild love for us is displayed in the detail of His creation.  Given to us for our enjoyment; created to give Him glory.  And oh what glory He deserves!! 

The fellowship we enjoy with Christian friends is a gift to be treasured for sure… but nothing in comparison to the fellowship that awaits us with our Father.   He waits for us to sup with Him.  To walk with Him in the garden.  Or just maybe… in a cornfield.  

Wherever you are... whatever the setting... whenever the time... He waits and longs to spend time with you.  It's an open invitation.

Thank you God… I love you too. 

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is very inspiring Sandy! Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your table. I think I have found a kindred spirit. I'm visiting from facebook from a link that a friend sent me. She told me that her neighbor's sister started this blog that made her think of me. I am now following you. You have not only inspired me but blessed me so much with your love for Jesus. Blessings, Wanda

    ReplyDelete