Friday, February 3, 2012

Say CHEESE!!

Did you have braces growing up??  I didn't.  Probably should have.  But do now!!

I'm wearing the Invisiline type braces.   Great for an adult that doesn't want to walk around with metal hardware in their mouth.  But I think I had this vision that fixing my smile would be a breeze.  WELL.. it's not.  They hurt at times.  They're uncomfortable.  They impair my speech.  And while I was hoping they wouldn't be noticeable to others... they are.  I'm supposed to wear them 21 hours per day, but haven't been very faithful to that.  I seem to think that I'll be able to get by with just wearing them at night.  But last I checked... I didn't graduate from dental school.

As I shoved them back in my mouth yesterday and felt the discomfort, I had to chuckle.  I can be the same way with my life.  There are things I know need correcting.  There are things that I know God tells me I need to do differently.  There are things I hope no one else notices.   I have the "instruction manual of instruction manuals" available to tell me what to do.  And I'm not receiving my guidance from one of many who graduated from some school.  My guide is the one who created me!!  But it hurts sometimes.  It's uncomfortable.  It reveals my imperfections.  Sometimes it impedes the way I'd LIKE to live my life.  And just like thinking I can get away with wearing my braces only at night... I want to think I can get away with following Him MOST of the time... when it's convenient and when it's comfortable.

The dentist is offering me a great smile if I follow his directions and allow the correction to take place.  MY JESUS is offering me a beautiful LIFE... if I follow HIM and allow HIS correction to take place.

If you bump into me on the street, I'm really not that concerned that you notice my straight smile.  I did that more for me than anyone else.  I DO hope you notice a smile on my face, though.  And I HOPE that smile radiates the love of our Jesus in me.  I have chosen to follow Him for ME... but want to share Him with YOU.




No comments:

Post a Comment