Thursday, January 5, 2012

WONDER While I WANDER - Part I

I've been wandering the Southwest corner of our nation this week by Harley.  Traveling by motorcycle is a very sensory based experience.  Not only do you see the world without a roof over your head or a car frame around you, but you can literally smell a change of landscape that will make you look around for cedars... or feel a sudden change in temperature that is completely unexplainable.  I love the rare opportunity to pull in the clutch to silence our loud mufflers and quietly drift down a winding mountain road while listening to beautiful praise music.  How can you not lift your hands to that!!

Another beautiful thing about wandering is it gives you a chance to WONDER.  A few things came to mind while wondering and wandering that I'd like to share.  These won't be sequential like "Pink Doors" was, but just a bit of wondering... while I wandered.  

So let's get going.

My favorite roads to travel on by motorcycle are those that just keep going... and going... and going.   No exits to worry about, no heavy traffic to maneuver, nothing to do but sit back and enjoy the scenery.  There is no question where you're going... you just follow the road laid out before you.  We took several roads like that this trip, where the route was very clear.



Inevitably, by choice or happenstance, you will encounter a big city.  On this particular trip, we spontaneously decided to find our way through downtown San Diego and onto Coronado Island.  Cars were weaving in and out of 5 lanes... multiple signs flashing overhead making you question your route... exit options every quarter mile... sensory overload of the unnerving kind.

I would've had no idea where to go if it hadn't been for the use of a GPS.  It told me what road I was on, how far I needed to go before the next turn, and what direction that turn would be.  It told me what lane was best and safest for me to stay in at the moment and alerted me to what the current speed limit was.  Having this in my hand, I was able to navigate and give direction.  It was a life saver.

Life can be like this, can't it.   Sometimes the road seems easy and clearly laid out before us.  But inevitably, we WILL encounter high traffic areas now and then.  Unfamiliar territory.  Options for exits we aren't sure are ours to take.   Confusing signs that make us question our direction.  Awareness that a wrong turn could result in us being... LOST.

What I "WONDERED while I WANDERED" successfully through SanDiego was this:

Is God my "GPS"?? 
Do I let Him navigate my life??  
How often do I just try to find my own way??

To me, these questions are worth wondering about.  Preferably... while I wander.    


No comments:

Post a Comment