Sunday, January 15, 2012

FROZEN PEAS


Yesterday was a day filled with the blessing of friends.  I spent a few hours in the booth of a quaint coffee shop tucked in the village of Saugatuck with a beautiful friend who is literally glowing with love and excitement over what God is doing in her life.  I spent time on the phone with another dear friend discussing various issues we’re both concerned about.  Later in the day, I spent an hour sitting on a couch with a friend who’s going through some tough “life stuff”.  I’m not the world’s most social person really, but I DO cherish my friends and consider them… a blessing. 
  
I realize it’s a crazy time of year to talk about growing peas, but they are "snow peas" after all, so bear with me!!  I put this thought into words last spring after a night in my garden before Beauty In Brown Eggs.  It came to mind after reflecting on my day yesterday and I’d like to brush the snow off it, thaw it out, and share with you some thoughts… on peas.   


I was working in my garden the other night and was getting just a tad bit frustrated at the way snow peas are.  Seriously, have you ever grown them??  What appears to be the main, thick part of the stem is SO insanely fragile… you hardly have to touch it and SNAP… it breaks in half.  Personally, I thought those plants would be much better off climbing a different part of the trellis I had so diligently built… but every time I tried to move them, the buggers cracked in half.   HOWEVER… they have these hair-fine tentacles that reach up and out… grabbing on to whatever sturdy support they have near them… and upward-ho-they-go!!  The entire plant is supported by these little hair like fibers… allowing it to continue its climb upward.  Try to move THOSE and I swear they cling for dear life!! 


Isn’t it the same with us as people??  Our outward appearance can look so strong… a complex fig leaf of sorts.  But the slightest upset… or change in direction… can leave us broken and misguided.  We also NEED something to cling to… to hang onto for strength… to guide us on our path.  And this, my friends, is an intimate walk with Jesus Christ, prayer, the Word of God… and Christian friends.   

Hang on FOR dear life WITH them.  
Hang on for dear life TO them. 
For TRUE life.
The only LIFE.

Look around you… there are lessons to be learned everywhere.  Even in a simple garden.
 
I love you too, God.

p.s... stay tuned for some pictures of my unique garden in case you need a winter project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment