Sunday, February 17, 2013

Seeing through the fog


There isn’t much in this world that turns my crank more than wandering charming old country roads lined with vintage fences complete with old barns, grazing cattle or best of all…. sheep.  And that’s exactly what we stumbled upon recently on a foggy morning near the California coastline.  The winding road was barely wide enough for two cars.  The fog was thick; but the beauty was clear. 

When we came over a hilltop I saw a group of sheep… including lambs nestled snuggly against a gate.  My heart about melted.  I was moved enough (risking life and limb I later realized) to hike back up that low-visibility road on foot, figuring I’d get a few photos. 

I huffed my way up the hill, stepping into a ditch while cars, giving me the “what-the-heck-are-you-doing-on-the-road-in-this-weather” looks, streamed by.  Apparently the sheep weren’t too impressed either, because as I neared my destination, the little ones got up and trotted over to the big ones (do sheep trot?) and they all filed away:  in the opposite direction.   So much for my photo shoot. 

It occurred to me as we drove away that these sheep were doing exactly what sheep are supposed to do.  They didn’t recognize my voice as that of their master and they probably couldn’t see who/what I was either in all that pea soup.  So they turned from potential danger.  Simply walked away.

* * * * *
I want to know my master’s voice that instinctively. 

I pray for the discernment to turn from all other voices.

I thank Him for searching for me during the times I’ve been lost.

* * * * *
I managed to get one good shot before these charming creatures disappeared into the fog.   Personally, I think it’s beautiful.  Beautiful simply for what it is… but also because I saw a message in it for me.  The same message can be for you



Thank you God, I love you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment